Topics

#PrisonFellowship #prisonfellowship

ADVOCACY INSIDER
May was a big month for the national justice reform movement. President Trump held the first-ever Prison Reform Summit at the White House. Prison Fellowship® was honored to be in attendance to hear the stories of formerly incarcerated people alongside the president, vice president, and other prominent leaders who were calling for opportunities for redemption and second chances. The momentum continued the following week on May 22 when the U.S. House of Representatives passed the FIRST STEP Act with a tremendous vote of 360-59!
Thousands of advocates like you sent a letter through our website asking members of Congress to support the FIRST STEP Act (formerly known as the Prison Reform and Redemption Act)—and they listened. Thanks to your continued resolve and persistent advocacy, the needle is moving on criminal justice reform.
The FIRST STEP Act passing the House is a significant step forward for the 180,000 men and women in the federal prison system. The act aims to expand recidivism-reducing programs for these men and women and increase earned- and good-time credit opportunities so people can come home to their families sooner.
But the work is not over.
The bill is at the Senate now. President Trump has said he will sign the bill if the Senate passes it. But, the bill faces opposition from both sides—those who think the bill goes too far, and those who think it doesn’t go far enough. Meanwhile, the well-being of thousands of incarcerated men and women and their loved ones hangs in the balance.
Help move the FIRST STEP Act forward now.
This is the most critical stage of this historic moment. We are hopeful that—with your partnership and prayer—the FIRST STEP Act will pass the Senate and make its way to the president.
Will you put your faith into action? You can send a letter to your senators in less than 2 minutes. Write your senators today.
Thank you for partnering with us to advance justice that restores.
Sincerely,
Craig DeRoche
Vice President of Advocacy & Public Policy
Additional Resources and Opportunities
Join Prison Fellowship and our partners at the "Families for Justice Reform Now Rally" at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, DC on July 10th at 2 p.m. Let’s be a witness for the men and women behind bars who need relief now!
Review the final House vote results on the FIRST STEP Act. You can thank your representative for voting “yes” (or express your disappointment if they voted “no”) by using our easy online tool here.
Review Prison Fellowship’s press release applauding the U.S. House of Representatives for their strong bipartisan passage of the FIRST STEP Act.

Prison Fellowship
44180 Riverside Pkwy, Lansdowne, VA 20176, USA