Topics

#NAFTA #nafta

Aicap,

Trump just announced his new plan for the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA),1 and it puts our digital rights at serious risk.

The proposal includes a notice-and-takedown regime and 25-year copyright term extensions, which would lead to excessive content removal and censorship and prevent innovation — and that’s just what they’re telling us. Even more disastrous measures could be hidden in the secret details.

Canada’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Chrystia Freeland is in Washington RIGHT NOW negotiating Canada’s position on NAFTA. We need to make sure she knows we will not accept these dangerous new rules, which would wreak havoc on our digital rights.

Tell Minister Freeland to not let an IP Chapter into NAFTA.

The U.S. is trying to reclaim what they gave away when they walked away from the TPP: The most restrictive copyright rules in the world.2

Trump thinks he can pressure Canada into signing the deal, having already reached an agreement with Mexico, and is threatening to leave us behind if we don’t sign on by tomorrow!3

But there’s still hope! Canada set a precedent that it won’t accept bad copyright proposals when it rejected the IP Chapter in the TPP. And Prime Minister Trudeau has said no deal is better than a bad deal when it comes to NAFTA4 — and this IP Chapter is definitely a bad deal for Canada.

We’ve won on this before, and we’ll do it again. Let’s make it clear that Canada will not be bullied into overreaching and restrictive copyright rules.

Send an email to Minister Freeland now, Aicap.

Yours for the Internet,
Laura, and the OpenMedia team

P.S. NAFTA negotiations are moving quickly and it’s going to take everything we’ve got to keep up with whatever comes next. Will you chip in to help us ensure we have the resources we need to keep up the fight?

Footnotes:
[1] United States–Mexico Trade Fact Sheet: Modernizing NAFTA to be a 21st Century Trade Agreement:
Office of the United States Trade Representative
[2] Let’s Talk TPP: OpenMedia
[3] Pressure on Canada to forge new trade deal within days after U.S. and Mexico reach two-way agreement: National Post
[4] NAFTA deal by Friday? 'Only a possibility,' Trudeau says: CTV News

We work to safeguard the possibilities of the open Internet, and toward informed and participatory digital policy.
This work depends on the support of people like you. Donate.
You can follow us on Twitter, and like us on Facebook.